The YMCA’s literacy program helps struggling readers in our community develop the literacy skills they need to succeed in life.
Y-Literacy offers free one-on-one reading tutoring to students grades K-4 who are reading below grade level. Our curriculum covers all of the essential components of literacy: phonics, fluency, comprehension and vocabulary. Our literacy program and its team of volunteer tutors have:
- Provided free reading tutoring assistance to hundreds of children in the Nashville area
- 87% of students served in the program increased their reading level
- On average, 1,000 books are distributed throughout the community every year
Want to volunteer?
Y-Literacy is able to make a difference in our community thanks to its caring group of volunteer reading tutors. As a Y-Literacy tutor, you will:
- Receive all the training and materials you need to help a young student become a successful reader
- Commit to work one-on-one with a child for one hour per week for a minimum of one semester; a commitment for the entire school year in encouraged
- Have an amazing opportunity to make a direct and positive impact on a child in your community
For more information on participating in or volunteering with Y-Literacy, contact Monique Lee at 615-255-9622.