Diabetes Prevention Program
Research has shown that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with pre-diabetes can prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 Diabetes by 58% overall and by 71% in individuals over age 60.
Lowering the risk with healthier choices
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program helps people at high risk for Type 2 diabetes reduce their risk by beginning and maintaining healthy lifestyles. You will learn from a trained lifestyle coach how to make small changes that can help reduce your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
How It Works
Participants will learn how positive behavior changes such as healthier eating, increasing physical activity, and modest weight loss help reduce risk for type 2 diabetes. This 12 month group-based program consists of 25 one-hour sessions in a classroom setting.
- Sessions 1-16 meet once per week (4 months)
- Sessions 17-19 meet every other week (2 months)
- Sessions 20-25 meet once per month (remaining 6 months)
- Adults (18+)
- Overweight (BMI > 25; 23 for Asian individuals)
- With prediabetes
- Confirmed via one of 2 blood tests or previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes
- HbA1c = 5.7% - 6.4%
- Fasting Glucose = 100-125mg/dL
- If no blood test, qualifying score on ADA or CDC risk assessment
- Open to members and nonmembers of the YMCA
NOTE: Participant MUST NOT already have diabetes or blood values in the diabetes range.
- Lose at least 7 percent of your body weight
- Build up to 150 minutes of physical activity every week
Some insurance plans may cover the full cost of the program, but if yours doesn’t, we have payment plan options for everyone and financial assistance available for those who qualify. To learn more, please fill out our Diabetes Prevention Program Interest Form.
Get started today
For more information, please fill out our Diabetes Prevention Program Interest Form.Get Started