Healthy Weight and Your Child
Healthy Weight and Your Child (HWYC) is an evidence-based program for children with obesity.
Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits. For this reason, the program is designed so that parent/caregiver attendance is required at every session. HWYC is open to both YMCA members and non-members.
- Child must be 7-13 years old
- Child must carry excess weight, with a body mass index in the 95th percentile or higher
- Child must receive clearance from a healthcare provider or school nurse to participate in the program
- Parent/Caregiver MUST attend all sessions
How it works
The 4-month program includes a Family Information Session and 25 sessions. Participants meet twice a week for the first 10 weeks. Afterward, participants meet once a week for five weeks. Classes are two hours long and are made up of eight to 15 children and their parents/caregivers. Your trained leaders will create a safe, fun and active environment for children and their families to explore and adopt proven methods to living a healthier lifestyle. The curriculum is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world. HWYC is open to both YMCA members and non-members
- Reduction in child’s body mass index and waist circumference
- Reduction in sedentary behaviors
- Increased physical activity
- Healthier eating habits
- Improved self-esteem
Upcoming Information Sessions
- Thursday, Sept. 14 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 13 at 6 p.m.
Get started today
Fill out our HWYC Interest Form to sign up or get answers to any questions you have about our nutrition counseling program.Get Started Doctor Referral Form (PDF)