Healthy Weight & Your Child
Healthy Weight and Your Child (HWYC) is an evidence-based program for children with obesity.
Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits. For this reason, the program is designed so that parent/caregiver attendance is required at every session. HWYC is open to both YMCA members and non-members.
- Child must be 7-13 years old
- Child must carry excess weight, with a body mass index in the 95th percentile or higher
- Child must receive clearance from a healthcare provider or school nurse to participate in the program
- Parent/Caregiver MUST attend all sessions
How it works
The 4-month program includes a Family Information Session and 25 sessions. Participants meet twice a week for the first 10 weeks. Afterward, participants meet once a week for five weeks. Classes are two hours long and are made up of eight to 15 children and their parents/caregivers. Your trained leaders will create a safe, fun and active environment for children and their families to explore and adopt proven methods to living a healthier lifestyle. The curriculum is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world. HWYC is open to both YMCA members and non-members
- Reduction in child’s body mass index and waist circumference
- Reduction in sedentary behaviors
- Increased physical activity
- Healthier eating habits
- Improved self-esteem
Is there a program fee?
Yes, there is a fee. To learn more about fees, payment plans and financial assistance, please fill out our Healthy Weight and Your Child Interest Form.
Get started today
Fill out our HWYC Interest Form to sign up or get answers to any questions you have about our nutrition counseling program.Get Started